Saturday, May 31, 2008

All my paperwork is in!

Hey Ya'll!

I am officially a toddler midwife! Graduation ceremony, check. DEA number (this means I can prescribe), check. One month of a realistic call schedule, check. Better with IUD placement, check. Hospital privileges, almost check. So far so good and my partners have been awesome! They have welcomed my questions and always made me feel supported. I will say this. When choosing where to work make sure its an environment that is conducive to your learning. This includes people that are patient and willing to teach. It makes a huge difference in your development.
One thing that I am finding interesting is how many of my folks really don't understand what I am doing. I find myself constantly explaining my role and duties as a modern day midwife. I am even more encouraged to promote midwifery and write a letter to Oprah! She should do a whole show about midwives and give us all free cars!! Doubt that would happen but a girl can dream.
The best thing that did happen this month is a birth I did with my mom present. She was in town for graduation while I was on call and as fate would have it she watched me deliver a baby. No HIPPA violations, the family requested to meet her and allowed her to stay for the birth. It was a really big moment for my mom and me because I have been telling her I how I wanted to deliver babies since I was 6. Of course she cried and I played tough, but I knew this was a special blessing.
Recent news, I have been made co chair for my local ACNM chapter. Couldn't believe I won, so I gotta bust my tail to make sure I do a good job! For those who know me, you know I love to juggle 5 different things at one time anyway so an added responsibility will be fine. Stay tuned for my next entry in which I will be completely by myself with hospital privileges!

No comments: