Sunday, May 4, 2008

Lobby Express!!

Well gang, I am entering my second month and I am still having a ball! I was granted another gift from the birth goddess and got to deliver one of my faves.....in the lobby. I was at a staff meeting when the front desk attendant announced her arrival. I jumped up with excitement only to greet her in the lobby with the classic precipitous statement,"the baby is coming!". I ran past her to a exam room and grabbed a pair of gloves. I ran back to her pants being pulled down and she simutaneously delivered the head. We laid her down on a blanket then she let the rest of the baby come out. Technichally, the baby and her body did all the work. I just made sure my piece of love muffin didn't hit the floor!

Got to place my second IUD, this time a paraguard. Had some difficulty sounding and I later found out it was because her uterus was retroverted. Question, any of my midwifery mothers out there have any tips on properly assessing this? I should have know there would be some issues when I sounded her to 5 and 1/2. Anywhoo, after my attempted placement, I felt the ball of the "T" in her cervix. Bummer! I really need to practice advancement with the demo model because I am sure I pulled it down on the way out. I am going to seek out all the placements on the schedule this month so I can get some practice.

This is a big month for me. I am starting a full schedule this month! A bit nervous, but everyone has been totally patient with me so they can't stop now!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Eb,

you are so friggin hilarious!!! You completely crack me up. Out of all the midwives I know, and all the midwives I will meet, you just seem to be the most likely to deliver a baby in a lobby.

Keep these blogs rolling, because I will be here often to keep updated with your new career.

CA

Story said...

I had to put my two cents in here...you know me! So I don't blame you for not noticing this since you were kind of "otherwise disposed" at the time...but it was not a blanket that this woman lay down on...it was the lap of none other than your favorite pregnant midwifery student, and since it took quite the maneuvering on my part, I just wanted to take that small bit of credit :)